Hello faithful followers and not so faithful followers we love you both equally well not really we obviously love the faithful more. We have arrived in Hanoi, but I will get to that later...
Here is a little recap of the end of Ho Chi Minh City..
So after and entire day of not crossing the street we finally got up the courage to cross the street the next day... the trick is to just walk; the cars, millions of scooters, bikes ect.. will merelyjust go around you. Its simple, just COMPLETELY TERRIFIYING. It's so difficult to convey to an American who says, "crossing the street, come on chris how hard can it be." No one obeys any kind of order, they think that 6 inches of clearence is more than enough to pass by your foot. As children we are all taught to look both ways when crossing the street, but yesterday I saw a kid literally get a full running start and leap (as in both feet off the ground) into 4 lanes of incoming traffic, he proceded to dance across the remaining two, without looking or even flinching. He danced in bare feet and all on the oppsing side walk, by the way, his family was just watching this all occur on the other side of the street without missing a beat of the Pho they were cooking up using "borrowed" power.
Moving on..
We went on a tour yesterday which included the Cao Dai Temple: a temple where all different religions worship together and the Cu Chi tunnels(yes Evan like "coochie") which are extremely small and made me feel extremely clostrophobic.
Our tour started out on a small bus with 9 other young people all of whom were English or Austrailian, very vulgar but nice enough. The Cao Dai Temple was exteremly meditative with the chanting and singing monks , so meditative Natalie and I looked around and realized we were some of the last of about (100 tourists) in the temple, the rest left because it's just too damn humid in there. After, we pressed on for another 3 hours of horrifying car ride with our group spewing Aussie and British slang I could not understand. We reached the Cu Chi Tunnels which reminded me greatly of Normandy, to me at least. However being the only Americans in over a 50 mile radius I can see why I was the only one who found it disrespectful to cheer at the death of Americans and climb all over, smile and have pictures on an actual blown out tank (which young Americans died in). This goes with my belief on history though, the victor always writes history. The tunnels were a bit surreal, I felt just an ounce of what it would be like to be crawling though the jungle, the humdity and bugs in 3 hours were enough for me, let alone the live fire range that you could shoot, M16s, AK47, Carbines, ect.. for a price. I enjoyed the tunnels from a historical standpoint for sure.
Our ride home was fun listening to the Aussies and English say random things like... WARNING THIS IS NOT FROM ME THIS IS JUST A QUOTE...(**proper British accent) "you know when your having sex with a girl and you get sand on your dick, and she is like, 'AHH' and you say 'CAWWW'" not sure what that means but it was one of the funnier things I have ever heard and I just had to add it in here.
We left HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) this morning, and were sad to see it go but I suppose that's going to happen a lot on this trip. We then got on an hour and 40 min flight to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines. I found it to be a very nice airline that beats any short domestic flight I have taken on Alaska. We just arrived in our hotel, which is only costing 22 dollars a night included in the price is.. TV, king size bed, the computer I am writing this post on, A/C, hot water, hot pot and a fridge. Crazy how much you can get for so little. I think thats all I know, now i need to go convince the budget Queen we need some food. I am also pretty impressed if you read this entire post. Leave us commets!!
Sign fail of the day:
"Constuction in progress, please excuses for the inconvient cause."
hmmm...
Love,
Chris (author) & Nat (editor)
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow chris sounds like you two are having an awesome trip! Can't wait to read about the rest of your ventures...emily buhman
ReplyDeletehi chris & Natilie, great piece of writing and editing..., sounds like you are having a good time and getting a little history at the same time, look forward to your next installment. love bob/marilyn
ReplyDeleteCAWWWW! haha. Love it.
ReplyDeleteHi you two,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading the writing piece and can't wait for the next installment! I cannot even imagine what crossing the street was like...
Nat and Chris, I bet the Aussies and Brit's were just trying to impress you. When are you two going to the beaches? I hear they are beautiful? Glad to hear Nat is demonstrating budget skills on the trip. I haven't witnessed too much of that before. How are the local people treating you?
ReplyDeleteTake care, Love you, Tom K
Thanks for the shout out, but riddle me this Obi Won...what does "coochie" mean? Sounds pretty wild over there, hows the bar scene? Keep your eyes peeled for Charlie and PLEASE find some authentic asian everclear or something of the sort that you can send back to us.
ReplyDeleteHows the Blackberry working and whats the time difference? If its within reason, we should get a skype sesh going.
Since you gave us an update, I figure it appropriate to tell you whats new with the Kirkland Bachelor Pad and its occupants. Jordan just bought a 46 inch 1080p EXCLUSIVELY for his xbox in his room, so we have haven't seen him in about 3 weeks. We officially have a rat problem because of Volcanos food outside, we're getting a band for 4th of July and I made the front page of the local newspaper in Pendleton... yippee.
Some other wild shenanigans that have taken place but I'll be completely honest...I don't know who else reads this and I'd like to keep my reputation untarnished for as long as possible. We'll save the good stuff for FB.
If you can get your hands on a pirated version of Get Him to the Greek over there DO IT...hilarious movie.
Be safe, live it up and bring me back something cool.
Love, Evan
This was funny to read because I couldn't tell if you were complaining and trying to put a witty spin on it to not seem negative? Butt I think you sound like its a great experience, both learning and leisure :) Chris I will check on volcano when i go home this week, and love herand squeeeze her. Natalie take care of bebe Christopher in case he gets scared in the Cu Chi tunnels again. Love you both!
ReplyDeletereading this kinda late but am happy to see you too are having lots of fun.... chris you better take care of my wifey :)
ReplyDeleteps. i kinda skipped through the post cause it was pretty long but im trying to stay updated. stay safe.